Thursday 15 September 2011

Halfway...

The last few weeks seem to have gone pretty fast, although at the same time they seem to have felt like they have lasted forever!
So what have I been doing over the last few weeks....

So since I last posted I have been to Mombasa twice more enjoying my time with the boys getting to know them more and our relationship growing, and really seeing depths of them they have never opened up to anyone. I feel so privileged to be apart of their life and thank God for bringing us together and for me to be able to help and encourage them through this time in their life. The staff and people have been telling me that they have really noticed a change in the boys since I have been coming, and that they really love and listen to me like no else. To see a change is massive! All praise to God!
I have also been building relationships with the staff and things have changed and really not being so much of a war anymore, although it’s still not easy. The directors have let me take the boys out for lunch one weekend before they all went back to school and clement was off to boarding. Was a really nice time and nice to be out of the home for once and was such a long time since they had done such a thing. That day I got to go to church with them and see some of them perform a dance on stage, I was so proud of them and they are such talented dancers!!
The day finished with giving them the football shirts I had got them, their faces were priceless their love for football is so different from the children back home and how they were so appreciative of it!








This weekend got to take the boys shopping to one of the biggest markets in Mombasa, and I have to say it wasn't the most pleasant experience having rained that morning. Wearing sandals in the mud and slipping everywhere is never the greatest experience! We then went to Wild Waters which is a really big water park the boys loves it and although the generator broke and there was no power for the slides to work they still had a blast!





So Mombasa is always a good time for me but the time is so short and the journeys are so long but it’s all worth it! I am now more used to travelling by myself nevertheless there has still been some stories!
One thing about Mombasa you have to be careful of is the street children they seem to be more forceful and aggressive and will just try and grab your bag or hit you. So you do have to been on your guard and really firm with them. The worst is when their parents stand there and just send them over. So there has been some issues, you really have to be careful and just keep your eyes open at all times and don’t be fooled to trust any random person.

I had my boss dogs for a long weekend and I have to say these dogs are mental! I have not known dogs like them they certainly have unique characters. They drive you mad, but they are so entertaining at the same time! So was a stressful and interesting few times with them escaping all the time chewing everything possible including a cooker!

At work we are busy making changes and adjustments for the new year so am involved in this right now, the company have taken a lot of my ideas on across the board was is really positive and encouraging and they all seem really pleased with my work which is great. I have also been involved in a lot of marketing and social media stuff, accommodation for volunteers, lots office based stuff been doing for project profiles, welcome, end packs etc. So has been keeping me busy. Has now become a way of life seeing so many volunteers coming and going always so different, and is interesting the diversity and impact each group brings. You can never predict how a volunteer is going to be and some really aren’t easy to get on with!!

Work can still be challenging sometimes but I am just so thankful for this opportunity and all that I am learning. 

In fact an opportunity was opened to me with a job offer in Zanzibar......

There are many things I am still struggling with and feel I am constantly being challenged here, a lot of the time I don’t know what it means or the purpose of it but I know something is happening. And I know it’s a real faith building time especially in the area of money. I just keep focused on the fact I am here for a reason and seeing the bigger picture in it all. I know I am learning and experiencing things I could not imagine but I'm looking forward to seeing the fruit that will come out of it.

When I went to the Power Women's group this week they really encouraged me, we were doing a bible study with them from 2 Corinthians 4:7-18 and just encouraged me that we go through all of this but God never leaves us and its a time where God is shaping and moulding us, it really made me think that this is a stage I am going through and really being encouraged by this as he never leaves me in such times but instead is shaping and perfecting me with the great craftsmen he is!

Tomorrow is the 3 month mark, knowing I have already passed through so much and learnt so much I am looking forward to seeing what the next 3 months have in store for me......

No comments:

Post a Comment